Friday, March 9, 2012

The Negotiator

(in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier)

I think children are born with the desire to negotiate. But Sophie is a master. She's always pushing for more of whatever ... here's an example I witness nearly every night:

Matt puts the kids to bed with teeth brushing and story, but then he comes and delivers his nightly message to me of 'they want you to lie down with them'.

When it's Sophie's turn she says, "Mom you'll stay for 5 minutes, 'k?"

It's important to note that her concept of time is not fully developed, although she seems to understand that two is more than one, three is more than two. So when she says 5, I'll say, 'how about one'. Then it begins ....

"No, you'll stay two."

I'm easily swayed at this point and will say, 'okay, two'. Then she sees what a push over I am and she'll say, 'no, you'll stay three'.

Then I'll hold ground and say, 'no, two'. She'll look at me and say, 'okay Mom, you'll stay three', and then she'll promptly close her eyes as if to say, we're done here and I'm closing my eyes so that you'll know the conversation is over.

The other thing she'll do is if I have my eyes open while beside her she'll say, "sleep Mom", and she's not satisfied until I close my eyes and keep them closed. Problem with this is I've been known to quickly fall to sleep myself.

One last Sophie thing for tonight... she came up with this the other day and it struck me funny.

'Rock a bye baby,
in the treetop,
when the wind blows
the cradle will rock;
when the bow breaks
the cradle will fall,
and Daddy will catch you
Ala-cazam!

3 comments:

J and M said...

She and Miles may get on famously!

I'd love to know your thoughts about full day kindergarten. When are the twins' birthday(s) again?

Angie said...

I love that song version. I always thought it was a bit morbid that the baby and cradle fell. Of course dad saves them. :)

jill said...

Alacazam?? Are you kidding me?? That is ADORABLE! What a cute little person she is becoming.