Saturday, December 4, 2010

Aggie trip

We just got back from D.C. where we watched our Utah State Aggies play the Georgetown Hoyas. Matt tells me the Hoyas are ranked 16th and are undefeated. We gave them a run for their money the first half, but then came out of the locker room a different team and eventually lost by 17. But oh, it was so good to be cheering for Aggie Blue again.

I graduated from BYU, but I think it really makes a difference in how long you live somewhere and if tickets are free or not. My course of study kept me busy and at BYU students have to pay for tickets. Matt went to USU and so when we married we purchased a student spouse pass which got me into anything, as if I were a student myself, and it was only $38. Factor in no children for nearly 6 years and whamo! you have a devoted Aggie couple who went to every home game there was ... football, even though the team wasn't very good, and basketball, where they rocked every year. Along came Wes and Kate, and eventually Sophie, and they can cheer Ag-gies along with the best of them.

My former colleague lined us up with tickets for today and so off to the Verizon Center we went. It was so great.

I took pictures but since we're still living out of suitcases (someday I'll actually be able to stop using that phrase), I don't have picture download-able capabilities.

I love that we still live relatively close to a grundle of historic sites. My sister said, "how would it be to be able to plan field trips to D.C. museums every month or two?"

Our children and I just got back from a fabulous trip to visit friends in Harrisburg, PA. Gorgeous country, a basement all to ourselves, and TOYS!!! The kids keep asking for reassurance that their toys have not been given away, but are just on the 'big truck' (moving trailer). Rachel and Jared and kids were fantastic hosts! We toured the sites at Hershey's Chocolate World, went to stores our peninsula doesn't have, namely JoAnn Fabrics (a disappointment I learned when moving here), and ate great food! It was just what the doctor ordered. In fact, when we drove home and parked in front of the home we're renting Kate despaired, "I don't want to be here, I want to go back to Rachel's house." We desperately need a home. I won't fill in details there yet because it's too confusing other than to say we won't be in our home by the close of 2010. So thanks to our friends for hospitality that surpassed all.

Meanwhile we love the Christmas season and all the lights and decorations we see. One of our favorite pass times is going to a store and browsing their Christmas decoration section. We're blessed to have so much.

2 comments:

Angie said...

I was able to go to DC last month, and I LOVED it! It is so beautiful. There were a lot of school groups everywhere. I remember thinking how cool it would be to be able to take a fieldtrip to such great historical sights. We'll have to meet in DC some day. :)

jill said...

Hahahaha! Dave started the game in high spirits and ended in less than high spirits. I continue to be envious of your proximity to all these fun places. I loved visiting the National Museum of American History. I'm sorry you're still in limbo. We'll add your names to our prayers and hope things start moving more quickly in the right direction. Love you people.